The neurosurgery division deals with different aspects of surgery on the Central and Peripheral Nervous System and the spine. A comprehensive range of surgical procedures is offered to patients presenting with disorders that fall within the section’s scope of services. Some of the pediatric and neonatal disorders treated include, hydrocephalus, spinal bifida and other congenital anomalies of the nervous system. Post- trauma cases including head injuries, spinal injuries, and peripheral nerve injuries are some of the section’s areas of expertise due to the abundance of this type of injuries seen. Brain and spinal tumors, degenerative diseases and deformity (scoliosis, kyphosis) of the spine, as well as brain and spinal malformations are some of the more general disorders treated.
Assessment for the need and benefit of surgical intervention in epileptic patients is also among the department’s areas of expertise.
To ensure providing high-quality healthcare services to all patients with neurological disorders, our team in outpatient clinics is working with patients and their families and staff in other departments, to provide a patient-centered care and an evidence-based health service through ongoing patient assessment to assist patients in managing their medical conditions effectively.
Our Neurology outpatient clinic provides care to patients with diseases of the brain and spinal cord, peripheral nerves, and muscles to patients who need comprehensive assessment and regular care.
Outpatient services provided for patients based on the appointment system, as well as direct attendance at the center in case of patients in need of emergency transfers.
Consultants offer diagnostic evaluation, consultation, and management of neuro-behavioral and memory disorders, neuromuscular disease, cerebrovascular disease, movement disorders, seizures, sleep disorders (OSA, insomnia), brain tumors, and headache. Diseases such as Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, molecular immunology, and neuropathology receive a great amount of attention and compassionate quality care.
Neurophysiology is primarily an investigative specialty that uses computer, electrical, magnetic, and electronic means of recording the function of the brain, spinal cord, spinal roots, peripheral nerves, and muscles to diagnose functional disorders of the nervous system. Techniques include:
• Nerve conduction study.
• Intraoperative monitoring.
• Evoked potentials.
• Intraoperative monitoring
Intraoperative monitoring has been utilized in attempt to minimize neurological morbidity from operative manipulations. The goal of such monitoring is to identify changes in the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerve function prior to irreversible damage. It is also effective in localizing anatomical structures including peripheral nerves and sensorimotor cortex, which helps guide the surgeons during dissection. Surgeries performed using this technique include Scoliosis Surgery, Carotid Endarterectomy (CEA), and resective brain surgery.
Psychiatric Center includes:
Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being.
Our hospital is keen to provide integrated and comprehensive highest quality of healthcare, Clinical Psychology Unit receive much attention from Almoosa hospital, thus it has become one of our top priorities and we have always sought to improve the Psychology unit and increase the services provided the patients.
Clinical Psychology Unit at Almoosa Specialist Hospital is one of the oldest and most important Psychology clinics in private hospitals at Al-Ahsa,we have been providing treatment to patients throughout the Eastern Region and beyond for nearly 15 years. This unit consists of:
• Psychiatric consultant who is the supervisor of the unit and programs.
• Social worker.
Because together we accomplish the goal of caring for the patients and their families, we have included several services at the unit.
Neuroscience & Psychology unit is the main component of the internal medicine department, where the discussion about the cases of the patients is held between doctors from other departments.
Colleagues in the Neurology unit contribute to the scientific activities in the hospital through the Neuroscience & Psychology unit and Neurological surgeons by providing:
• Scientific lectures with the cooperation of several departments in the hospital within the continuing medical education program
• Scientific seminars in mental health.
• Scientific seminars in cooperation with Neuroscience unit.
• Scientific seminars in cooperation between Psychology unit and other departments.
• Scientific seminars in cooperation between Psychology unit and social associations in Al-Ahsa.
• Publishing scientific articles on Almoosa magazine and Almoosa hospital website.
Psychiatric Services provided by Psychologist and Social worker includes:
• Assisting the patientstheir family and other relatives in solving their social problems related to theirmental illness and taking advantage of the available resources in the society.
• Conducting family meetings to meet patients’ needs, social needs, and other information.
• Collaboration with the therapeutic team members to inform the patients and their families of their rights and responsibilities during the treatment program in the hospital.
• Helping patients in planning their lives after the treatment program.
• Studying the referring cases from the outpatient clinic and other departments.
• Drug treatments based on latest developments in psychopharmacological treatment.
• Psychological treatment such as psychotherapy, cognitive therapy, and hypnosis depending on the patient’s case.
The following cases and conditions are treated at the Psychiatric Center:
• Physical disorders that are psychological based.
• Dealing with life pressure.
• Eating disorders.
• Personal turmoil.
• Post –trauma disorders
• Bipolar affective disorders
• Mental illnesses such as schizophrenia and delusions and other
• Drug abuse
• Sexual and verbal abuse
• Physical and mental problems of elderlySuch as Alzheimer.
• Psychological assessments include children, adolescents, adults and the elderly.
• Cognitive ability tests and Intelligence Assessment
• Hyperactivity and poor concentration assessment
• Memory evaluation
• Organic and functional assessment of the brain
• Psychological and neurological testing
• Personality test
At the Sleep Disorders Laboratory, We provide optimal treatments for all types of sleep disorders using state-of-the-art technology in the field, with providing a safe and healthy environment for the patient, so he/she feels at home during the diagnosis period.
at the sleep lab, we offer diagnosis and treatment based on the scientific basis for sleep disorders, which include: (Sleep apnea, Snoring during sleep, Headaches, Periodic Leg Movement during Sleep, sluggish during the day, etc.).
The following indicators will be monitored: (brain waves, muscle movements, breathing, snoring, and heart rate).
• We are an integrated center provides neurology services including (diagnostic and therapeutic) services, whether surgical or non-surgical for adults and pediatric patients, as well as preterm infants.
• We provide 24-hour emergency services, our ER department works around the clock.
• We provide optimal care to patients with choosing a complete diagnostic and therapeutic approach using the most up-to-date international method available, and highest standards of quality and clinical research.
• We provide long-term care with high-quality standards for the patient, by a medical staff with extensive field experience using the latest technology.
It is the mission of the center to extend high quality effective and compassionate patient-centered care,and to enhance clinical, surgical expertise and scientific knowledge of the medical team through continuing medical education. The center further strives to promote multidisciplinary collaboration in the medical and scientific communities and is committed to the continual improvement and growth of its comprehensive programs, which addresses the needs of patients.
To be a leading tertiary care hospital for Neurosurgery, and to be a good role model of health care provision in the Kingdom and in the Gulf States.
The Neuroscience Center at Almoosa Specialist Hospital is a regional and international center specialized in the treatment of Neurological Disorders and Neurosurgery, providing the highest international standards of diagnosis, treatment, and care for patients with Neurological Diseases in the region. The center offers excellent service and superior skills through a multidisciplinary team, who provide specialized acute and rehabilitative services for adult and pediatric patients with Neurological Disorders, including preterm infants. The team uses state-of-the-art innovations and advanced scientific methods of treatment.